How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
A How-To Tutorial by Safa Sherza
It’s not clear who the inventor of this clever confection is, but thanks to TikTok, the Hot chocolate bomb went viral in the Fall of 2020. Since then millions of videos have been made and watched.
I had no plans of my own to sell these, but a close friend convinced me, after she had no luck finding someone locally who sold a halal version. Needless to say, that opened the floodgates and the orders came rushing in.
Safa’s Cakery sells 4 flavors of Hot Chocolate Bombs: Classic, Salted Caramel, Nutella, and Peppermint.
In the video, I show you how to make the Classic version, and in the pictures you can see the Peppermint variation. The possibilities are endless, so have fun with flavors and decorations!
- You can use melted candy melts or tempered chocolate to make your shells.
- Make sure the molds are clean and then using a spoon or new paintbrush, coat the inside of the molds. Tap on the counter so that it is evenly coated.
- Put in the fridge for 10 minutes or freezer for 5 minutes.
- Apply a second coat if you want. Make sure the edges are not too thin. Place in the fridge/freezer again.
- Flip the hemisphere chocolate shells onto the counter to remove from plastic molds. If using a silicone mold, you will need to gently peel it away from the chocolate.
- Gently warm a pan on the stove, or a plate in the microwave. Place one shell onto the pan just until melted, this helps make the edges straight and ready to stick together.
- Fill the shell with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows (and any other fillings you wish to use).
- Place the second shell on the pan to melt the edge and immediately place onto the first one to attach.
- You can drizzle it with melted chocolate using a ziploc or piping bag. Add any sprinkles or candy bits to decorate.
Put the bomb in a beautiful Modern Muslim Home mug and pour steaming hot milk onto it. Enjoy! :)
About Our Guest Contributor